Tuesday, November 24, 2009

IF: Music

This is a piece I did in 2007 when I was posterizing some of my favorite musicians. This Miles Davis was plotted (cut) in vinyl and applied in 5 individually applied layers. The substrate (or backing) is wood panel sandwiched between two aluminum sheets. It is capped (framed) by black plastic siding. It weighs close to 10 pounds and is 10 x 24.


I appreciate the help of AJ Hancock of Apex Signs for his help in making this piece happen.




(Detail)



I made a whole series of musicians in this vain but It cost to much to produce them versus how much people would pay to buy them. I always wonder how starving artist afford art supplies.

4 comments:

Jeannie said...

This is really nice, love the look. Great work, and thanks for putting the detail image, I was curious what it would look like close up.

get zapped said...

Great color choice. You honored Miles so well with this piece. Kudos!

donny* said...

great illustration. very well done. and from my favorite miles period!

Anonymous said...

Great stuff Josh, I like the colours - its a punchy image.
Thanks for the comments too.