Monday, October 1, 2007

The Blues: Part One




I love the blues. The soul, the sound, the history. I think of the roots of rock music, the influence on jazz, the jam. The oppression that brought this heart felt music and the further exploitation when it was stolen and commercialized.


This Blues installment is a dedication to John Lee Hooker, one of my favorite Blues players. He best know for "Boom, Boom, Boom," and "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer," which are classics. If you listen to his work you can hear the roots of Hendrix, Clapton, and Rock'n'Roll as we know it. I saw him once and he was more entertaining at 75 years old than most other musicians are at 25 years old.


This is my slick installment, done in vector, to show the slick showmanship of hooker. My next installment will be about the roots of the blues, and will be more gritty.

15 comments:

shaky mouse said...

really tight illustration.. this is fantastic

bee'nme said...

This is a gorgeous portrait - I love the monochromatic palette and the perspective on the guitar. Nicely done - kudos!!

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

This is really nice. Very strong and bold and effective! I like some Blues too. Though I think Blues needs to grow on a person. I used to hate Blues. I like Marcia Ball a lot. Fun piano based Blues.

DaisyB said...

Very nice lighting on that! Great illustration.

arxo said...

wow...great colors, lights, point of view...

well done !

Anonymous said...

very enjoyable. the colors, the hat the guitar... and perfectly in theme
great
mario

Ken Chandler said...

Sweet! You do a mean Illustrator illustration. Very bold!

DINTOONS said...

oooh very slick, stylish n cool illo! the mood definitely conveys the blues..........
very nice write-up too, a wonderful honesty to it :o)

Larry Lee said...

I like this. It reaaly gives the feeling of 'the blues'. The perspective is great. Also the blue coloring. Great job.

Anonymous said...

nice perspective.

Catalina Alvarez said...

Wow! Absolutely beautiful!!!
Bellissimo.
Cata

Unknown said...

i like the slickness

genevieve said...

Great light and color scheme!

Gina said...

very cool.

Brine Blank said...

WOW!!! Great stuff on here...glad to have ran across your blog.